Clean Label Project® completed a study of 95 mineral-based and chemical-based sunscreens from 33 of the most popular brands based on the Amazon.com best-seller list. Products were screened for overall efficacy as well as for toxins like heavy metals like arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury, sulfates which can cause skin irritation, and oxybenzone and octinoxate which are known endocrine disruptors, as well as beneficial attributes like antioxidant activity.
Clean Label Project had the America’s top-selling sunscreen products – mineral-based and chemical-based sunscreens marketed towards adults and children – tested and reviewed by a third party analytical chemistry laboratory for industrial and environmental contaminants, levels of beneficial antioxidants, and overall efficacy.
Every product tested is displayed in the product ratings with a rating of one, three or five stars so you can look up the products you purchase—and make informed future purchasing decisions based on science rather than marketing terms and manufacturer supplied data. Every brand is then rated so you can know the overall brand quality based on the products tested compared to other brands.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Demand better! Sign our petition to demand transparency in labeling from the FDA
- Be a Conscious Consumer! Research the products you buy on cleanlabelproject.org and share our “shopping lists” with friends and family. And look for a Clean Label Project certification emblem on products you purchase.
- Sign up! Join Clean Label Project’s email list to be the first to receive new product ratings and other valuable information—which will help you choose clean products.
- Follow Clean Label Project! You can find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for daily updates.
- Support Our Work! Make a tax-deductible donation that will allow us to continue our fight for cleaner products and transparency in labeling.
- Speak to your pediatricians! If you are concerned about your child's exposure to industrial & environmental contaminants, your pediatrician may run a complete blood count and chemistry panel to assess overall organ function and blood counts.
TOP 5 & BOTTOM 5 PRODUCTS
1. Kiss My Face
Baby's First Kiss with Nourishing Aloe & Chamomile SPF 50 Lotion
2. La Roche-Posay
Anthelios Cooling Water with Cell-OX Shield SPF 30 Lotion
3. Sun Bum
SPF 30 Lotion
Sport SPF 50 Spray
5. Alba Botanica
Soothing Sunscreen Pure Lavender SPF 45 Lotion
Kids Mineral Based SPF 50 Lotion
2. Nature's Gate
Sport Vegan Sunscreen SPF 50 Lotion
3. Blue Lizard
Face Sunscreen Zinc Oxide Formula - Antioxidant Enriched SPF 30+ Lotion
4. Blue Lizard
Kids Mineral-Based Formula SPF 30+ Lotion
5. Blue Lizard
Baby Titanium Dioxide & Zinc Oxide Formula SPF 30+ Lotion